<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, February 23, 2004


oh Canada 


This is something that I didn't see in any of our papers. A private who fought in Afghanistan refused to go to Iraq.

Private Hinzman said: "I signed up to defend my country, not carry out acts of aggression."

Yeah, our military is so benign. And made a long, strange journey to Canada where he is fighting to stay as a objector. Not to mention Canada's Hockey Night and LaBatt Blue. He signed up like many 17-18 year olds do--for the money.

Private Hinzman said he liked army life for the subsidised housing and groceries and the promises of money for college. "It seemed like a good financial decision," he said.

Insert, I never thought I'd actually have to kill anybody. I never thought I would actually be shot at. Yo, I thought I might have some stories to tell, you know, like gramps coming back from Korea, but shit, this sucks. How about you give me a tcket home and we call it even?

Volunteers at the GI Rights Hotline, a legal aid centre for soldiers, are receiving about 3500 calls a month from military personnel looking to leave the armed forces.

Now that's what got me. If you remember the draft bill is in committee and the Selective Service is trying to fill its local boards. Meanwhile Reservists are being shipped over in record numbers. Now that's a lot of calls. Granted some are probably a guy who got drunk and was missing family and some are probably just those people in the desparate hours of silence after their convoy was attacked with roadside bombs and RPG's, but shit, even 1000 a month looking for a way to get and out now is disturbing.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



Mailbox
Respond if you wish.
Boiled Meat Home